Tuesday 28 December 2010

December Book Review

I could bore you all with tales of Christmas and so on but I reckon you've probably all had enough of that. Safe to say my Christmas was like most others - presents were given and exchanged and too much food was eaten. Let's leave it at that.

What I need to do is get in my December book review now because I am swiftly running out of days and still need to get the whole year review out of the way.

Don't worry, there's only 2 books, I wouldn't want to tax your over-stuffed brains.


Instruments of Darkness – Imogen Robertson


Man I would have been gutted if this had been the last book of the year that I had read. It was so so poor. I don’t even know where to begin. I almost don’t want to go overboard on the slating because it was kind of so rubbish I would feel bad beating it to death. Poor characters. Poor plotline. Dullness itself. I kept waiting for it to get good, thinking that any minute it was going to kick in, but sadly it was not to be. I realise I haven’t really told you what it’s about but I’m going to save you time by just saying, don’t bother.

Love in a Cold Climate – Nancy Mitford


Have I mentioned I’m obsessed with the Mitfords? Well I am. I seriously can't get enough of them and am making it my life's mission to read and own anything to do with them. This means reading autobiographies and biographies and books of letters, you name it I'll read it, but what was lacking from my reading list was any of the fiction written by Nancy Mitford.

Have you read Evelyn Waugh? Liked it? You'll love this (hardly surprising seeing as we're talking about the same era and they were mates). It is almost laugh out loud funny, full of over-inflated characters and just a damn good read. Read it. You'll love it. It is not to be taken seriously.

-------------

The winner? Love in a Cold Climate. Obviously.

Apologies, I know these two reviews are not the best but you know what? It's the end of the year, don't worry about it.

2 comments:

  1. Love In A Cold Climate is a wonderful book (and a brilliant title too but The Pursuit of Love is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The books take second place here - I'm just loving the photographic setting: that crochet is lushious!!

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say something. You know you want to...