Saturday 7 January 2012

Not Really Resolutions 2012

So here we go. Not Really Resolutions 2012. Eek.

I think last year went pretty well. 9 out of 10 is a success in my book anyway, certainly as close to perfection as I’ll ever get.

So what’s on the list for this year? And more importantly, why?

1. Complete France 2010 trip album. Ha. Well it has to be on here doesn’t it really, given that it’s the only thing I didn’t complete last year. Shame on me. But this way it will definitely get done so it’s time for me to get my head down!

2. Furniture make-over. I have 2 items of charity shop furniture that need a make-over. One is a drop-leaf table and the other is this scabby looking chest of drawers that I picked up for £5 a few days after Christmas. They are very good at their jobs, but they’re not exactly pretty. I even know what I want to do with them, after getting inspiration from Tete en l’air last year, so it’s just a case of getting on with it. Think it might have to wait for more clement weather though!

3. Run 10km. A tricky one to put on the list as I’m still not overly sure if I am able to run 10km without my shin imploding. But if I don’t put it on the list I won’t push myself to try and achieve it so it’s going on here. I need something to aim for because once I’d run the 5km last year I stopped having the impetus to go running and as a result I’ve become a reet lazy so and so and I’m piling on the pounds as a result.

But I’m not going to beat myself up if I don’t achieve this one because it’ll be because I physically can’t do it. Note that I’ve just said run 10km, not enter in a race, I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself because then I’ll end up in pain – if I manage to run 10km, whether that be on a treadmill or running up and down my street a million times, I’ll count it as a win.

4. No buying of physical books for one whole year. Yeah you read right. I’m going hardcore for 2012. There is good reason for this. Namely that I do not need any more books. There are currently 92 books waiting to be read on my bookshelves. I read about 45 books this year, and 44 the year before that. Do the maths. Also I just don’t have the space to be buying books.

Which brings me to why it says no physical book buying. I decided this would be my resolution a couple of months ago and was all settled until Christmas Day when I opened up my present from my Dad and discovered I am the proud owner of a Kindle. I’ve had mixed feelings about these for some time now but I was mostly pleased because I saw a loophole in my resolution. I can’t buy any physical books but I’m allowing myself to buy books for my Kindle. I mean otherwise it would just be a waste wouldn’t it?

This one is going to be a tough one because I have a bit of a compulsion with book buying, as evidenced by the problem in the first place.

5. Learn how to do French knots and use them in an embroidered piece. These guys are the bane of my life. I literally cannot do them. Many have tried to teach me and many have wanted to poke me in the eye with the needle due to my complete inability to do it. But this year I am determined. If anyone has any links to any tutorials or videos that are good please tell me about them! I think French knots are going to be to 2012 what learning to crochet a ripple blanket was to 2011.

6. Use my alpaca wool. American Girl went all the way to South America to get me this wool (there’s a chance she also went for a holiday but we all know it was about me) and all I’ve done with it is turn from skeins into very neat balls of wool. This is bad behaviour. The main reason I haven’t used it is because I’m a giant scaredy cat because it’s not Stylecraft DK so I don’t know what to do with it. It is thin thinny thin thin and it frightens me. Any suggestions for what I can do with it (keep it clean please) then let me know!

7. Sell something at a craft fair. This requires me to be organised and get a stockpile together. Of what I have no idea but I like the thought of making money. Remember the mobile that I made for my niece? Since that one I’ve made 4 more for friends and it’s earned me some lovely cash. Now obviously I can’t make those – not unless I develop psychic powers and learn the names of my potential shoppers beforehand – but I’ve been bitten by greed and want to make pocket money for myself. I can feel a Gantt chart coming on...

8. Read 12 Classics. I had such a good time last year that I definitely want to carry this on this year. Mostly because of the stockpile I have – remember those 92 books? Yeah well 17 of them are Classics that I bought on speculation. And I can download Classics for free on my Kindle so no excuses.

9. Cook/bake something new every 3 weeks. When I was doing Weightwatchers in 2010/2011 I really started to enjoy being in the kitchen much more as I was always making myself new things. Since reaching my goal weight in February 2010 I’ve been lazy and that, plus the lack of exercise (see Resolution 3) has meant that slowly but ever so surely the weight is creeping back on. It’s not a big deal, I’ve just fallen into some bad habits, but I know what I need to do to change them so there’s no stressing to be done. But I thought this might help give me a kick up the bum.

Why 3 weeks? Well I knew that if I said fortnightly I’d never keep it up and if I said monthly well that’s just a big fat cop out isn’t it really? So every 3 weeks it is. God knows how I’ll keep track of this one.

10. Keep a diary with photos for one whole year. I loved doing Project 365 last year because it allowed me to look back over a year in my life and remember all the little things that happened. However it was a little limiting because I try to be as private as possible on the blog and not have other people’s faces in my photos etc. So I have decided that I will keep an actual physical diary for a year that will include photos. I’m not pressuring myself to write something every single day or take a photo every single day but I do want to keep a record of the little things that happen day to day. I even bought myself a cool book from Paperchase to do it in. Anything to oblige my stationary addiction.

------------

So there we have it. I am locked in. Bring it on 2012.

It's actually kind of scary. I think I might start thinking of valid reasons why I haven't completed these now, just in case...

7 comments:

  1. Ok I can help with number 6. First of all you need to find out exactly how thin your yarn is by wrapping it around a ruler and pushing each strand up close to the next, don't pull too tight, but also don't make it too loose. Count the number of strands that fit into an inch and that is your WPI or wraps per inch. With this information you can work out what type of yarn it is and then go and look on ravelry.com to find a pattern that will work with it. If you really are too scared, you can always hold two strands together while you work to make it thicker! Hope this helps. If you need anymore help, let me know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh good luck with all these! There is a little farm shop near me that sells alpaca wool but it is soo £££! The craft fair is a great idea as well, I would love to do something like that eventually! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh I do admire you.. I have never made a resolution in my life. However, I have just started the Couch to 5K (see blog) and secretly (sshh) that is my main one this year..to get fit (or fitter) and to RUN (not walk) the Race for Life!
    Shame on the books - I have just cleared out my bookcase to make some space and have a HUGE bag of books that need a home ;) why did I think of you? Nice on the Kindle though - so many cheap and free books out there!
    Take Care & Good Luck
    Clare
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW to comment #1! Had no idea people did this!

    Loving these aims! I think I might try to join you on no.8 this year, you really inspired me last year - should be easy enough for you with the Kindle as a lot of them are free. Great Expectations will be my first after loving the series over Xmas.

    Also loving no.7 but am too scared to even try at this. What you could do with the mobiles is have some examples and take bespoke orders? Might need the Gantt chart though as you say!

    French knots! Argh, I used to paractise and practise them as a teenager and only managed them about three times, as a complete fluke - hate them!

    Erm, trying not to blather on too much but good luck with the running but don't hurt yourself and look forward to seeing what you do with your furniture! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great resolutions- good luck with them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh fabby! Reading your not-quite resolutions is like browsing the index of a new magazine. Can't wait to turn the pages of the Big Book of The Girl in 2012 and see how it all works out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck!

    I absolutely love physical books - and stationary for that matter. But my kindle is a massive space saver - my book shelf is groaning under my to-reads! I can also crochet and listen to the (somewhat annoying) text to speech voice read to me. I call him Harry ;)

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say something. You know you want to...