Thursday 4 September 2014

11 things

What better way to try and get back into the swing of blogging than by doing one of those "Tell us stuff about yourself?" Janet tagged me in the Liebster thingy and it spurred me on to try and get myself back in the game.

I'm supposed to write 11 things about myself, answer the 11 questions set and then pose 11 questions of my own.

That was all too much for my addled brain, so I'm going to answer Janet's questions and then we'll call it done - ok? By answering the 11 questions I'm basically telling you 11 things about myself, so by my reckoning I'm 2/3s of the way there and that's majority.

No?

1. Why did you start blogging?

I was in my MSc year at the University of Manchester and discovered MSN Spaces. I think my cousin had one and I’d clicked on to it when I talking to her on MSN Messenger one day - I thought - “Cool, I can write stuff on here!” and set about. I don’t think even I knew what the purpose was. I just liked writing and always have. There wasn’t the blogosphere as you knew it back then!

2. What post are you most proud of?

I’m proud of any of the posts where I’ve really said what I feel. I’ll be honest they’re few and far between because it’s hard to put something out there that’s particularly personal - especially when there are some people from ‘real life’ who read my blog - but they’re always the ones I feel best about and they’re usually the ones that receive the most interesting comments. I really appreciate the time that people take to write comments on those posts because thought-provoking posts mean that people have to have a little think about what they write, that means a lot.

Particular posts I'm proud of are: 
The one who moves away (it got me in more trouble than I can even go into - but I stand by it. And one day I'll tell you why)

3. What’s your favourite thing about blogging?  And a least favourite?

It’s the thing that everyone says - it’s the people! Since moving to my current location I haven’t been able to make any friends here. There are people that I get on with, don’t get me wrong, but no ‘friendships’ if you get me. The people I count as friends are the people I talk to every day either via blogging or on Twitter.

I love that moment of discovering a new blog and thinking “Oh my god I like that TOO!” and realising that there are other people doing the same kind of things as you.

My least favourite? The other thing that everyone says. Blogging aint what it used to be and more and more I find it harder and harder to come across blogs that I immediately connect with because they’re either the same as every. other. blog. Or they’re so full of sponsored content that I don’t feel like I actually really “know” the person behind the blog. There has to be an element of personal stuff on there for me to want to be bothered to read.

4. What’s your favourite kind of sweet? And least favourite?

I always hit up the purples and the reds. Poor yellows and greens, they always get left ‘til last don’t they? I feel bad for them because actually I’m a citrus lover.

Although I have recently realised that Janet & I have the same problem when it comes to sweets in that I have to eat them like this…



…or else my brain goes funny.

5. What’s your favourite flower?

I love an Alstroemeria me. They’re not usually massive expensive. You can usually get some colourful ones. And they last. for. ages. Only problem is that they have a name which I can’t spell...

6. Did you have a favourite dressing up outfit as a child?

As an adult I hate fancy dress and all that it means but as a kid I loved wearing an old bridesmaid’s dress of my sister’s. It was from the early 80s so was full on. Light blue, chiffony, puffy sleeves and an actual hoop in it. I used to wear it and pretend to be a bride. One time me and 2 friends got dressed up - I wore the dress, my friend wore a vampire cape which made her the vicar and my other friend wore one of my Mum’s fur coats and was mother of the bride. I don’t even know what we did about a Groom. Probably used my cat...

7. Zayn or Harry?
You see I don’t want to like Harry because it’s so obvious and because I imagine he’s quite the rogue but damn him he does have a lovely face. Definitely not Zayn. Actually I like another one but I don’t know his name...

8. What was your best holiday and why?

This is where I say “I really need to finish blogging about my trip to America in March 2014”, a sentence which I’m pretty sure I’ve put in every blog post since April. But it was amazing. It was an experience and a half. I loved going to Corfu last year and it was a brilliant lazing on the beach holiday but our America trip will take some beating.


I think the reason why I loved it so much was that it was the first holiday I’ve been on where I felt like a grown up on holiday. I know that sounds ridiculous but I haven’t had a summer holiday away (apart from a trip to the US in 2008) since I was a teenager. This was the first  ‘big’ holiday I’ve been on where we did some major travelling by ourselves and had to do a lot of planning.


And obviously just the places that we got to go and the sights we saw, as well as being topped by watching my best friend get married - that has to make it the best holiday!



9. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

It would have to be the US. I’m not really up for learning any new languages and I’m definitely not up for being somewhere remote where not a lot is happening, so I’d need to be in a city in America somewhere. I would say Arizona given that that is where American Girl & Boy reside  but I know the heat in summer would kill me dead so  I’m guessing I need to go for somewhere like San Diego which is still vaguely near but isn’t going to cause me to perspire to death.

But the thought of no NHS, lack of annual leave and the chance of getting shot by some random kind of freaks me out.

10. What’s your favourite Christmas tradition?

Christmas Eve. Bath with Lush bathbomb. New pyjamas. Boom. Basically ALL I am interested in at Christmas.

11. Do you have a nickname?

Not anymore really. Family call me Beedlebum - the origins of which are too complicated and potentially too boring to explain. It’s one of those stories that just don’t make sense, you know?

I got nicknamed out at school - all manner of variations on my last name and the ever so wonderful Teen Wolf. A result of being an extraordinarily hairy child. Aren’t kids nice?


8 comments:

  1. I love posts like this which mean I learn funny little quirks about my blogging pals. I don't know which ones Harry and Zayn are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple and reds are win. We can be friends. I'm going to America next month, so interested to hear more about your trip, but no pressure!

    It's super weird when I realise how long I've been reading your blog for, in one form or another. I'm no fashionista, I like the feels and the funnies in blog entries. Your posts are the win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, thanks for answering my questions! And it's so funny that we've discovered we're weirdo sweet twins. We need to meet up soon and eat Skittles and M&Ms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fear of being shot is overated, it's like all the people that try and tell you that you'll be shot/killed/raped/mugged if you step south of eight mile and go into Detroit. I'm just like yeah whatever. Not that it won't or couldn't happen, it might. but it's very unlikely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot all about MSN Spaces! I guess they don't still exist... Your favourite and least favourite things about blogging are basically exactly what I said - I think people are starting to get sick of the faceless samey blogs now and it's circling round to the more quality stuff again...I hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these type if posts. I have a problem with sweets in that I can't get them all into my mouth quick enough, regardless of colour. It's a source of near constant shame ;)
    Personal posts are always favourite, I have written a number in the past that haven't made it past the publish button, fear of my real life friends taking it the wrong way I guess, so kudos for publishing The One That Moved Away - it's a great post.
    Oh and, erm, Harry. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even understand the "Zayn or Harry" question and had to look it up. Man, that made me feel old. Other than that one, good self-interview! I like red and green sweets best. Maybe it's the graphic artist in me - they are complimentary colours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are some great posts love so yeah, you should be proud of them! Ooh alstroemeria are pretty. But yes, difficult to spell. As if you knew who Zayn was - I had no idea, thought it was a character from Harry Potter I had thus far not heard of. I feel like an OAP. I'd probably choose the US too, maybe San Fran as I loved that place like a kid loves cake but I don't like the sound of no NHS either. And kids are boobs!

    J

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say something. You know you want to...